The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to let the pros do it. But if you can’t imagine July 4th without lighting a few fireworks at home, here are the Dos and Don’ts of fireworks safety:
- Point the fireworks away from people, places, and things.
- Keep water nearby in case anything happens, and to extinguish spent fireworks.
- Wear safety glasses.
- Light one firework at a time.
- Use fireworks in wide, clear areas, and on dirt or cement if possible
- Keep a first aid kit on hand. Saline, wraps, aloe vera, blunt scissors, and a blanket will all be useful in case of an emergency.
- Point fireworks at a person, even as a joke.
- Relight a firework that didn’t go off.
- Consume alcohol while handling or lighting fireworks.
- Light fireworks in dry grass.
We hope these fireworks safety tips help you have a fun and safe 4th of July!
If an accident does occur, head into our clinic. Our medical team is equipped to treat minor burns and injuries from fireworks and can get you the care you need.