DOT/CDL Physical Exam
Our FMCSA-certified providers are trained to conduct DOT/CDL physical exams and complete relevant health forms. The vision test, hearing test, and urine test are all included in the package.
What is the purpose of the DOT/CDL physical exam?
A DOT/CDL physical exam is required to obtain a commercial driver’s license.
The Department of Transportation requires physical examinations for drivers who:
- Drive a vehicle that can carry more than eight people.
- Transport hazardous materials.
- Operate vehicles with a capacity of more than 15 people.
- Operate vehicles with a gross combined weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs.
Book Your Appointment
Don’t let your CDL expire!
If you are a new driver or you need to renew your license, walk-in to your nearest UrgentWay center and get your DOT physical exam done today and we will submit the completed forms to the DMV.
You can get your DOT/CDL physical at low cost at any of our locations. No hidden charges.
Our FMCSA certified physicians provide a thorough physical exam needed for your DOT/CDL.
The New York Department of Transportation (DOT) requires
that all commercial drivers need to complete a medical exam and be declared fit by a practicing licensed physician before being issued a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). UrgentWay does not usually perform urine drug tests for CDL exams unless requested by the employer.
Please be aware billing an insurance company for DOT/CDL exam is a health insurance fraud.
What does a DOT/CDL physical exam include?
Before starting DOT/CDL physical exam procedure, a medical examiner will have you fill out a medical health history form, which will ask you questions regarding your medical history.
You’ll be required to give detail health information, including:
- Medications you are having or have had before
- Procedures and treatments you are having or have had before
- Symptoms or medical conditions you are currently experiencing
You can also fill out and bring this form with you prior to your appointment visit
A full physical examination will be performed, which includes:
- Blood pressure
- Urinalysis and other diagnostic tests
Urinalysis will be performed, if requested by the employer, to reveal blood sugar level and other health indications. Urinalysis can also be used for drug test.
Blood may be drawn and additional in-office diagnostics, such as an electrocardiogram, may be performed if needed.
Important Facts & FAQs
Who needs a DOT physical exam?
- Vehicles used for commercial purposes that have a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating or combined weight rating greater than 10,000lbs
- Vehicles transporting hazardous materials
- Vehicles designed to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver)
- Vehicles used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers beyond 75 air miles from the drivers normal work-reporting location
What do I need to bring with me to the doctor’s office?
- Prescription glasses (if any)
- List of medications (with doses)
- Your last Medical Examination Report (MER) form (if any)
- Yearly clearance letter from a specialist for a specific chronic condition (if any)
What is the procedure for the DOT physical exam at UrgentWay?
- Walk-in at any one of our locations in New York City
- Fill out the driver’s portion of the health forms
- A FMCSA-certified physician will take a thorough history and perform an in-depth physical exam which will include a hearing test and an eye exam
- A urine test will be ordered
- Other tests may be ordered for heart patients
How long will it take to get the DOT physical exam at UrgentWay?
When will I receive my CDL medical certificate?
Will health insurance cover my DOT physical exam?
Dot physicals are not covered by insurance companies. It is employment related, so check with your employer if they pay for it. We charge $110 only for DOT physical exams without any hidden charges. For more information, please visit https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/medical/driver-medical-requirements/dot-medical-exam-and-commercial-motor-vehicle-certification or call us at (877 276 9006). We are here to help!
Words From Our Patients
We are here to listen to your complaints, answer your queries and provide support. If you have a question or you want to book, cancel, reschedule your appointment, or need your results, just give us a call. We are only one call away.
Let us take care of you now
535 Eighth Avenue,6th Floor,
New York, NY 10018
Mon – Tue: 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Wed: 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
2826 Westchester Avenue,
Bronx, NY 10461
Mon – Fri: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Sat: 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
2 Main Street,
Hempstead, NY 11550
Mon – Fri: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Sat, Sun: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
120 Bethpage Road,
Hicksville, NY 11801
Mon: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Wed: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Sat: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM