The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) required a complete medical examination of hired-drivers to be declared physically, emotionally fit. The drivers of yellow or medallion taxi cabs, green or boro taxis, uber drivers, Lyft drivers, luxury limousines, and black car limo are required to pass TLC Exam in New York City. The primary purpose of the TLC medical exam is to determine either the driver has any underlying medical condition that could prevent him from safely operating a vehicle or he’s capable to drive with public safety. Requirements for TLC medical exam include the medical history, past surgeries, medications, and family medical history. TLC medical exam requirements also include blood pressure and heart rate examination, hearing and vision screening, and physical exam. When the physical exam is carried out, the medical professional listens the heartbeat, examines the ears, throat, and nose to determine your hearing, swelling, and smelling senses. Moreover, TLC medical exam requirements include the examination of reflexes and neurological functioning. To evaluate whether you can safely drive a motor vehicle, your doctor or health provider may prescribe further testing, such as an EKG, if you have cardiac issues.
Requirements for TLC medical exam eligibility
There is a specific criterion to appear in TLC medical exam, which is given below:
- You must be at least 19 years old.
- Possess a legitimate Social Security Number (SSN)
- Within 15 months of the date of your most recent offense, you must have no more than 6 points on your DMV license.
- There are no unpaid fees, tickets, or parking infractions.
Requirements for TLC medical exam
TLC medical exams include the following examinations, tests, and evaluation requirements:
1. Health history
TLC medical exam consists of the health history of the driver. It includes the medicine you’ve taken in the past, surgeries in the past, alcohol addiction, and existing health conditions.
2. Physical examination
TLC medical exam considers the vision, blood pressure, and medical history of drivers, etc.
- During the vision test, the doctor will test you for at least 20/40 vision for both eyes.
- During the hearing test, the ability of the driver to hear about whispering from less than five feet away is evaluated.
- During the urinalysis, the driver’s medical condition is determined and is mainly used for drug testing purposes.
- During the pulse test, the driver’s blood pressure is determined to ensure that the driver is healthy enough to sit for a more prolonged period.
3. Appearance examination
During the appearance examination, TLC medical doctor examines the appearance of the drivers and consider the following parts:
- Neurological to examine reflexes
- Skeletal to examine tenderness
- Limbs to examine damage or weakness
- Abdomen to explore the masses or cysts
- Lungs to determine breathing rate
- Mouth and throat to examine the swallowing
- General appearance including weight, and tremors
4. Needed vaccinations
Your following vaccinations certificate are also needed to pass the TLC medical exam, including
- Hepatitis A & B
You will be given a TLC medical certificate after you have completed your TLC examinations. This is valid for two years from the date of acquisition. In addition, you will be examined for a variety of drugs if your administration asks for a drug test or if you apply for a government job. TLC medical exam requirement also includes the following drugs during screening:
- Amphetamines and methamphetamines
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Opiates – opium and codeine derivatives
If someone wants to become a commercial vehicle driver, then a TLC medical exam is mandatory. A certified medical examiner performs the TLC medical exam. The primary purpose of the TLC medical exam is to make sure that the driver’s health condition is satisfactory and the driver can drive a commercial vehicle. TLC medical exam is done every two years for most drivers, but the drivers who have diabetes or cardiovascular diseases must perform TLC medical exam annually. TLC medical exam requirements include three different categories as eligibility requirements, documents requirements as past medication and physical exams. The TLC medical exam consists of the physical examination to check out the functioning of legs, spine, nerves, reflexes, etc.
Moreover, TLC medical exam includes examining hearing, vision, blood pressure, pulse rate, circulatory system, and kidney functioning. It can be carried out by any medical professional. It ensures that the driver is mentally fit to perform the job efficiently. Some conditions can make us disqualified. Therefore, specific precautionary measures should be taken to improve your health.